We create opportunities for daring artists to bring their ambitious projects to life.
Commissioning new works by Australian artists is fundamental to Experimenta’s program. Through the commissioning process Experimenta supports artists to create works across a range of artforms including, but not limited to: interactive, transdisciplinary, online, mobile, participatory and performative works. Our commissions provide a significant opportunity for Australian artists to undertake professional and creative development, with financial and in
–kind support from Experimenta, in order to realise innovative works that engage and ignite the imaginations of our audiences.
Commissioned projects are awarded generous in
–kind support, and assistance in securing additional funding where applicable. Commissioned artists join the other exceptional Australian and international media artists selected for inclusion in Experimenta’s large –scale touring exhibitions.
Over the years, Experimenta has provided a launching pad for many high-profile artists including:
- Patriccia Piccinini (Virtualities, 1995)
- Shaun Gladwell (Experimenta Vanishing Point, 2005)
- Daniel Crooks (Experimenta Vanishing Point, 2005)
- Tracey Moffatt (Experimenta Festival, 1990)
- Angelica Mesiti (Utopia Now, 2010 – 2012) (Selectively Revealed, including Asia Tour 2011-2012)
- Destiny Deacon
- David Haines & Joyce Hinterding (Experimenta Festival: Perplexities, 1992) (Under the Radar, 2006)
- Eugenia Lim (Speak to Me, 2012)
- Jess MacNeil (Selectively Revealed, including Asia Tour 2011-2012)
- SODA JERK (EMARE, 2015)
- Matthew Sleeth (A Drone Opera, 2015 – 2020)
- Michaela Gleave (A Galaxy of Suns, 2016 – 2020)
- Cake Industries (The Hybrid Society, 2018-2019)
- Chamber Made (My Self in That Moment, 2019 – 2023)